This is a traditional South African pudding, perfect “comfort food” for cold winter nights. It is delicious, simple – and economical!
- 4 slices light brown bread
- 100 ml marmalade
- 3 eggs
- 400 ml milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 15 ml brown sugar
- pinch of salt
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cut the bread sideways to make 8 triangles. Spread each triangle with butter and a generous layer of apricot jam or marmalade.
3. Butter a round ovenproof dish, and arrange the bread slices in circles, resembling the petals of a “flower”.
4. Beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla essence, sugar and salt. Pour this mixture over the bread, and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Bake in a bain marie for 30-40 minutes, or until puffed up like a soufflé and lightly golden brown on top.
Delicious served hot with custard or whipped cream!